Houses of Artists

Houses of artists

Most former residences of members of the Dachau artists' colony can be viewed from the outside. Some of them accomodate studios of contemporary artists; visits can be arranged upon request. Please contact the tourist information.

 

Artists´ House of August Pfaltz

Artists´ House of August Pfaltz, Picture: City of Dachau, Florian Göttler
Artists´ House of August Pfaltz, Picture: City of Dachau, Florian Göttler

In 1906 August Pfaltz (1859 – 1917), an artist originating from Offenbach constructed an opulent villa in the German Art Nouveau – Baroque style with a Mansard Walm roof and a Risalite projection into the centre of a generous garden.

August Pfaltz, who came to Dachau in 1898, together with Hermann Stockmann and Hans von Hayek was the driving force behind founding the Museum Association and the Gemäldegalerie Dachau.

Location:

Hermann-Stockmann-Str. 16

Artists´ House of Carl Thiemann

Artists´ House of Carl Thiemann, small house with blue door in huge garden. Picture: Peter Riester
Artists´ House of Carl Thiemann, Picture: Peter Riester

Carl Thiemann (1881-1966) who came to Dachau in 1908, was the last to build a house in the artists’ colony.

His was the only one surrounded by a large garden. The garden was lovingly tended by the artists.

Location:

Hermann-Stockmann-Str. 20
85221 Dachau


Viewing only from outside.

Artists´ House of Georg Jauss

Artists´ House of Georg Jauss, Picture: City of Dachau, Florian Göttler
Artists´ House of Georg Jauss, Picture: City of Dachau, Florian Göttler

Georg Jauss (1867-1922) came to Dachau in 1895 and took over the villa with studio contracted to his wife Karolina Hegeler in 1899. The villa features a half-timbered upper storey and a stepped Mansard roof.

Jauss worked as a teacher for the Munich Artists Association and was a member of the Munich "Secession".

Location:

Hermann-Stockmann-Str. 12
85221 Dachau


Viewing only from outside.

Artists´ House of Hans von Hayek

Artists´ House of Hans von Hayek, white, gable-fronted house. Picture: City of Dachau, Peter Riester
Artists´ House of Hans von Hayek, Picture: City of Dachau, Peter Riester

Hans von Hayek (1869-1940) built a property with living quarters and a separate studio. He kept many animals which served as models for his paintings.

The two three-storey gable-fronted houses meet at right angles. The gable-fronts have been baroque-ified and their eave sills are decorated with a tin frieze. Von Hayek headed a school of fine arts in Dachau for landscape and animal painting.

Along with Stockmann and Pfaltz he initiated the founding of the Gemäldegalerie Dachau.

Location:

Münchner Str. 53 - 55
85221 Dachau


Das Künstlerhaus kann nur von außen besichtigt werden.

Artists´ House of Hermann Stockmann

Artists´ House of Hermann Stockmann, called Spatzenschlössl, Picture: City of Dachau, Florian Göttler
Artists´ House of Hermann Stockmann, called Spatzenschlössl, Picture: City of Dachau, Florian Göttler

The so-called “Sparrows’ Castle”, built in 1899, was the residence of artist, designer and illustrator Hermann Stockmann (1867-1938).

He arrived in Dachau in 1898 and had the villa built in the neo-baroque style.

A friend of the sparrow, he always provided food and shelter for them on his property and thus Stockmann named his villa the “Sparrows’ Castle”.

Location:

Münchner Str. 38
85221 Dachau
Tel. +49 (0)8131 - 75125
Fax +49 (0)8131 - 75299     

The building is rented out to artists, who live and work in their ateliers there, by the City of Dachau and therefore can only be viewed from inside by appointment with the artists.

Transportation:
Dachau train station (Bahnhof)     

Artists´ House of Hugo Hatzler

Artists´ House of Hugo Hatzler, Picture: City of Dachau, Florian Göttler
Artists´ House of Hugo Hatzler, Picture: City of Dachau, Florian Göttler

The living quarters and studio of the artist Hugo Hatzler (1872-1955) was built in 1910.

He inherited it from his mother Thekla Hatzler, widow of a brigadier doctor, in 1914 and sold it to Hans Schlemmer in 1941.

Hatzler came to Dachau in 1905 and was a student of Hans von Hayek.

Location:

Hermann-Stockmann-Str. 18
85221 Dachau

Artists´ House of Max von Seydewitz

Artists´ House of Max von Seydewitz, Picture City of Dachau, Florian Göttler
Artists´ House of Max von Seydewitz, Picture City of Dachau, Florian Göttler

The painter and sculptor Max von Seydewitz built his villa in 1898 adding a separate studio in 1900. The property features a wood-clad upper storey, a strut-supported bow window, Ashlar stucco on the ground floor, a round arch window in the basement and a Moorish triple window on the first and second storeys. The house is today a listed building.

The stolpersteine or stumble stones of sculptor Gunter Demnig have been set in the pavement in front of the house since November 2005. They commemorate its Jewish occupants, Vera and Johann Neumeyer and Julius Kohn, who were driven out of Dachau during the Night of Broken Glass on 9th Nov. 1938 and subsequently murdered at the Auschwitz and Theresienstadt concentration camps.

Location:

Hermann-Stockmann-Str. 10
85221 Dachau